Facts About the Amazon
- Over the past 40 years, nearly 20% of the Amazon Rainforest has been deforested. Every few minutes, up to 200 football fields worth of precious Amazon jungle land is destroyed by various corporations and governing bodies.
- A healthy Amazon Rainforest would be a primary driver combating global climate change
- 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced in the Amazon causing many to refer to it as “the lungs of the Earth”
- The Amazon rainforest houses both contacted tribes and tribes living in “voluntary isolation”.
- 90 tribes have been destroyed since the 1900’s
- Indigenous knowledge of local flora and fauna – which could be the key to unlocking the cures to many modern diseases – is disappearing as indigenous culture and practices are undermined by “modern” society.